Monday, 13 December 2010

Let's get down to the nitty gritty.

I have avoided commenting on the issue of gritting so far because every time I try I end up going off on a tangent about the multiple failures of local government which leads me on to the ineffectiveness of Stormont and I completely forget about Gritting. Which is what our councils seem to do every Spring.


Let's be honest, the best time to talk about how to deal with adverse weather is when the weather is nice and calm and tempers and frustrations aren't as raised. I'm sure everyone knows this, particularly those in government, so why has it not happened? Well, it's just not interesting. I mean, it's not really that interesting now is it? Yes, it's important and an issue of public safety but it's not exactly sexy politics. If it's hard to get excited about the subject now, when it's on the news and being talked about all over the country then it's not exactly going to light anyone's fire in April or May.


The problem for our politicians is that the electorate don't elect them to only get involved with the big issues, they want them to fix the small ones too. I spent years running stores and managing supply chains. The items that always cause the biggest headache are the little everyday things that get ignored, forgotten or taken for granted and when that happens the whole show comes to a stop. It is the same principle with government.


I have many ideas for how to solve the issue of gritting but i'm not going to go into them in detail here, at least not yet anyway, but I wanted to make the point that politicians need to learn that a sign of good government is that everything just works, without fanfare or show. You may not get in the April papers for agreeing a strategy for gritting the paths but come winter when your constituents go about their business unhindered, you can be proud that you are doing what you were elected to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment